
This is the inside of my nature box. I just wood burned it this week. For now it just shows the lake and I will eventually collage photos of the man-made structures on top of it. I actually am at a stand still with the inside until I get some feedback from you guys next week. The other thing that I will work on, is interviewing a woman that I know that uses this land for taking nature walks with her kids. Now the land is up for development and she's been going to the town meetings with the historical society that is trying to preserve the land and old farmhouse that sits on it. Will have to tell you more at our next meeting...hopefully you get the gist. It's turned into a really interesting project, that just keeps revealing more and more about the land and just life in general.


This another book that I made to fit inside the box. It mainly shows a farmhouse that sits next to the lake that's been my main inspiration. The house and the land around the lake have a huge sign up in front now saying that its' development is pending. I have discovered the farmhouse was built in 1867, hence the historical society wanting to preserve it. The book looks big in my pics, but it actually quite small:)
These are really neat. Are there going to be pages in the wood book? The wood burned drawing, will make make a nice back ground. Cant wait to see the small ones in person. They look very tactile. :)
ReplyDeletehttp://karleighjae.blogspot.com/
ReplyDeleteYou might be interested in her.
eager to see this in person. if you have specific images you're considering for the inside, bring them on saturday. it'll give us a sense of things that's hard to imagine otherwise.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE the wood burning work you've done thus far! I feel like you could really push that as a medium in itself. It's hard to describe, but I'm imagining a non-standard "book" made of "pages" which are all wood-burned. The "pages" would be overlapping pieces of wood that create an obscure form when placed all together in the final go... hmm.. that was a bad explanation. Maybe imagine pieces hung salon-style, but then pull them all together in the center of the wall and overlap corners of pieces or sometimes covering the majority of one piece with another. All of them together would interact with each other and be this large form jutting out from the wall. It'd hang on the wall and be a sort of installation... just a thought!
ReplyDeleteI'm also intrigued to see what kinds of images you'll be transferring on the interior! Let me know if you're still interested in learning how I do image transfers on encaustic :)
Dear Naomi,
ReplyDeleteI am loving this direction with your books. I also love the binding you are doing with branches, and the translucency and feel of the gel medium and pine needle pages.
Can't wait to see more. :)
Keep on keepin' on.
<3
J9
Hey Naomi,
ReplyDeleteI'm just checking in w everyone's blog tonight. Hope you had a good week w things. Looking forward to seeing what you've been up to on Saturday.
Jenn